The private chat feature is a great tool to use when you're ready to have a faster-paced conversation with someone than traditional messages and emotigrams allow. For best results with this feature, set up a mutually convenient time to chat with someone, so that you both can ensure that you are online and available to chat.
To initiate a chat with a prospective match:
- Ensure that the member is online and available to chat. A member is available to chat when the blue button in their profile is active (dark blue) as opposed to inactive (light blue/grey)
Active chat button (Available to Chat):
Inactive chat button (Not Available to Chat):
- Click on the activated chat button to open the chat box
- Type your message within the provided text box
- Press Enter to send your message
If you'd like to prevent members from initiating chats with you:
- Open your chat manager by clicking on the chat button in the lower right corner of your screen.
- Remove the check mark from the box next to "I am available to chat."
Is there anything that I should know about the private chat feature?
- Most members prefer to communicate through messages and emotigrams before chatting in the faster-paced environment. For best results, arrange a mutually agreeable time to chat beforehand.
- If someone is idle for 10 minutes, they may appear online, however, at the 10 minute mark their chat availability is disabled. If you believe they've returned, refresh their profile by pressing the 'Shift' key and the 'F7' key to see their most recent chat availability.